Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ayo for Banana Republic




I haven't been very impressed with Banana Republic clothing lately. To me it seems that they just put out the exact same cotton/silk blend tops and wide leg slacks season after season. This Spring, they're attempting to shake things up a bit by announcing that "spring gets spicy" on their website. "Spicy" to BR apparently means that one will see a lot of orange in the new collection of silk/cotton tops and wide leg work pants.

They've also debuted a new "City Stories" ad campaign featuring musicians and plan a flashy new website to go along with the promotion. I found the above photos featuring beautiful Afro-German singer Ayo in Lucky magazine this month.

Ayo really makes those Banana Republic togs look stylish and a bit bohemian at the same time. I particularly love the snakeskin belt and the print of the scarf she wears to cover her hair.

As of today, there isn't anything at the special site that BR has set up for the "City Stories" promotion but eventually, there should be some content that will include information about the nine artists chosen for the ad series and free music downloads.

In the meantime, here is Ayo perfoming "Down on My Knees" live:

5 comments:

Sugabelly said...

Ayo is Nigerian-German and amazing. But that aside, let me get into full squeal mode:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh she looks soooooooo adorable!! I'm glad Banana Republic chose her. She's one of our lesser known but WAAAAY BETTER singers. Go girl!!

Naturally Sophia said...

So I just got my Lucky today and saw her spread. I said to myself Brigette will post this. And wow you already have. Loves it!

B said...

@ Naturally Sophia - I really liked this month's Lucky (which is rare lately.)

I'll have to post Kimora's Baby Phat ad soon. She's gone a bit overboard with that airbrushing :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Ayo is huge in Italy.

I love her voice and think she is just gorgeous.

Naturally Sophia said...

Brigette- yes Kimora is the word "overboard" personified.

I like the MArch issue of Lucky too. I had not really enjoyed it in awhile either.