Monday, July 14, 2008

Vogue Italia is a hot seller according to WWD


HOT ISSUE: While tech heads on Friday lined up at the Apple store to buy the latest iPhone, fashionistas evidently hurried to newsstands across New York City to get their hands on the July Italian Vogue featuring all black models. By 10 a.m., Universal News on 58th Street and Eighth Avenue, near the Hearst Tower, had already sold 50 copies, with 50 more left in stock. Hudson News in Grand Central Station sold 20 copies by 11 a.m., with another 30 left to sell. By noon, Universal News on 56th Street and Lexington Avenue had sold its last issue, and the one on 14th Street near Sixth Avenue had sold over 100 copies, with a few more left to move.

Condé Nast prepped accordingly for the increased consumer curiosity surrounding the themed issue, where Steven Meisel shot the likes of Naomi Campbell, Alek Wek, Jourdan Dunn, Liya Kebede, Veronica Webb and upcoming names like Sessilee Lopez and Toccara Jones. A spokeswoman for Condé said the company increased newsstand distribution of the special issue by 40 percent in the U.S., and will reallocate Italian copies earmarked for returns to the U.S. The company will also print another 10,000 copies to meet the demand for the issue. "Franca Sozzani is a brilliant editor whose courage and originality never cease to astonish. Working in collaboration with Steven Meisel she has produced a groundbreaking issue, which in a small way, changes the world. I am very proud of it," said Jonathan Newhouse, chairman of Condé Nast International. Ironically, Vogue Italia wasn't available at the two places most likely to carry the issue — the Hudson News at Condé Nast's headquarters at 4 Times Square and the newsstand at Condé's satellite offices at 750 Third Avenue did not carry the issue on Friday. Store clerks at both locations expected to have copies by Monday.

17 comments:

matt williams said...

Anna Winotur probably wishes she did this issue now.

I can imagine Andre sucking his teeth and side eyeing Anna because he suggested this type of issue to her last Fall.

I am so ready for American Vogue to have a new editor.

matt williams said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/business/media/14mag.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

check this out. its about american magazines in india.

fail_safe said...

I know I've probably seen half of this issue on the interweb already, but I'm really anxious to get an actual copy. I sincerely hope that this moves designers to use more Black models, and hopefully models of other races and ethnicities as well. As beautiful as they are, I'm tired of seeing seemingly prepubescent Eastern European women toted as the standard of beauty.

Anonymous said...

I figured it would sell well, but I'm still happy to read this. I hope that the brisk newsstand sales finally debunks the myth that "Black faces don't sell", but I dunno. There's a part of me that's still skeptical.

B said...

@chic noir - Thanks for the link!

Camille Acey said...

and i STILL haven't got mine. this is crazy.

Anonymous said...

I think also a lot of people are ebaying them. I picked up 2 copies, one to comb thru and the other goes into my "vault"

Lenoxave said...

Well, well, well. The "negresses" upped sales by 40% eh? All sarcasm on my part of course. I love the idea that "Black" doesn't translate or sell. We've been selling for quite some time.

B said...

@camille

The issue hasn't hit Seattle yet either. I'll have to check again today.

Anonymous said...

Where is everyone getting theirs??? I'm dying looking everywhere till my eyes are bloodshot trying to get a copy!! (I live in Atlanta by the way) When are they gonna have copies down here??????????

Anonymous said...

I've been stalking the newsstands here in London. A black girlfriend of mine and I went into one place near our workplace. The shopkeeper just raised her voice (unneccessarily) when we walked in and proclaimed 'Not in yet! We don't have Italian Vogue.' I've broken down and paid over the odds on eBay - I have to have it! (Love your site).

B said...

@zoe - bookstore employees are getting a hell of an attitude with this issue. I'm sure they don't get as pissy when the HP books come out.

LittleEva said...

I live in NYC; on Saturday I went to 42nd Street to a newstand near Eighth Avenue, but it was all sold out, then I went to 58th street, sold out. Finally I found a small cigar store on Columbus Avenue, around 63rd Street, and I found it. Yay!

matt williams said...

I think one of the reasons this issue of Italian vogue is selling so well is because many people who don't buy Any edition of Vogue regualry are looking to buy it. There are also a number of blk men who are looking forward to buying it after seeing some of the sexy,classy, and tasteful pics on the web.

AJ Plaid said...

@ brigitte--LOL!

Hmph...could all of this bookstore-employee attitude come from the fact that they can't seem to figure out why folks would be soooo interested in an all-Black issue?

THE PRAGMATIC PROGRAMMER said...

Still no luck here in Louisiana either. I've contacted an online source which sells single magazine issues, however they’re still waiting on the July issue of Italian Vogue. However, I think I will give Ebay a try. I'm really disappointed. I have been looking forward to this issue for months and I can’t find it anywhere. Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.mymagstore.com/238457/products/Vogue-Italia-Italian.html I left my name and phone number with one of the guys. They were very helpful, but I’m afraid they’ve been overwhelmed with requests as well.

shayshayma said...

As beautiful as I think Italia Vogue is - I am having a real problem with the fact that they made it look so...well...dated. All of the spreads seemed to be inspired by Grace Jones and I luvvvvv me some GRACE, but come on. Was there no thought behind the issue as far as ideas are concerned? Nothing seemed futuristic or new everything seemed throw back 1970's/1980's. I would have love to see more modern and forward thinking looks.