Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Kimora Lee: Hit or Miss?


Kimora Lee Simmons seems to be catching a lot of flak for choosing this colorful Kevan Hall Couture gown to wear to the Costume Institute Gala but aside from the fit (which seems a bit too restricting up top) I don't think it's that bad. After all the theme of this year's gala was "Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy." It this color saturated composition doesn't scream comic book panels then I don't know what does. Most of the attendees played it safe and dull. At least someone was able to go out on a limb with her gown. I'm probably letting her off too easy though, I am a fan of Detroit born Mr. Hall who seems to be one of the only designer out there who gets "safari chic" right, referencing the influence of African tribes like the Dinka and Maasai and Zulu without looking like a trend vampire.

9 comments:

Tearsa Smith said...

I think she looks great. She has her own style and is unapologetic about it. I LOVE that.

Ariel said...

Agreed. I like the dress. I think she needed to have worn her hair down, just to balance out the proportions.

Beauty Is Diverse said...

The structure and design of the dress is very nice and the colours also, i just don't think it suits her ..but it is a nice dress though

Anonymous said...

aziza, I totally agree. I like the dress, but Kimora's look is missing something. My first thought was that her hair needed an adjustment, but maybe she just needs something around her neck . . . maybe her makeup is lacking.

B said...

Thanks for the replies everyone.

There is something a little off about the look on Kimora and I also think it's her hair. The hem of the dress is so full that her pulled back hair makes her look like a triangle from top to bottom.

Edirin said...

i didn't think the dress was that bad, it looked kinda nice actually

matt williams said...

I like the dress. I think Kimora could of played with her makeup a bit more.

Liz Lizo said...

this really caught my attention and I almost didn't like it, but later did, besides i think she should get kudos for being very experimental with colors.

Lenoxave said...

I love the colors in the dress. They are beautiful as well as the structure. It's too tight up top, but I still love it.