Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Artists to Know - Wanda Ewing



Thirtysomething artist Wanda Ewing was raised in Omaha, Nebraska. She received her BFA from the Art Institute of San Francisco in Printmaking. Her provocative, sexy, and hilarious images engage the viewer by putting a spin on the beauty standard as depicted by popular culture.

I love her work and my favorite series is the fictional Bougie magazine covers that she created complete with snarky article tag lines such as "Not Good Enough? 25 Ways to Get Ghetto Fabulous" and "Date a Man With No Job? Over My Dead Body!"

source: wandaewing.com

3 comments:

Camille Acey said...

this is fantastic!

Carla said...

Wow--do you subscribe to Bust magazine, too? I just discovered Wanda through them and also added her to my blog! Go, Wanda!

B said...

Carla- I first I have to say that I've been reading your website for years and really admire your work.

I read about Wanda's website in Bitch Magazine.